Saturday, July 24, 2010
The Rapid Decline of the American Middle Class
22 Statistics That Prove The Middle Class Is Being Systematically Wiped Out Of Existence In America
Here are the statistics to prove it:
• 83 percent of all U.S. stocks are in the hands of 1 percent of the people.
• 61 percent of Americans "always or usually" live paycheck to paycheck, which was up from 49 percent in 2008 and 43 percent in 2007.
• 66 percent of the income growth between 2001 and 2007 went to the top 1% of all Americans.
• 36 percent of Americans say that they don't contribute anything to retirement savings.
• A staggering 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.
• 24 percent of American workers say that they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year.
• Over 1.4 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009, which represented a 32 percent increase over 2008.
• Only the top 5 percent of U.S. households have earned enough additional income to match the rise in housing costs since 1975.
• For the first time in U.S. history, banks own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the United States than all individual Americans put together.
• In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one.
• As of 2007, the bottom 80 percent of American households held about 7% of the liquid financial assets.
• The bottom 50 percent of income earners in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent of the nation’s wealth.
• Average Wall Street bonuses for 2009 were up 17 percent when compared with 2008.
• In the United States, the average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector.
• The top 1 percent of U.S. households own nearly twice as much of America's corporate wealth as they did just 15 years ago.
• In America today, the average time needed to find a job has risen to a record 35.2 weeks.
• More than 40 percent of Americans who actually are employed are now working in service jobs, which are often very low paying.
• or the first time in U.S. history, more than 40 million Americans are on food stamps, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture projects that number will go up to 43 million Americans in 2011.
• This is what American workers now must compete against: in China a garment worker makes approximately 86 cents an hour and in Cambodia a garment worker makes approximately 22 cents an hour.
• Approximately 21 percent of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line in 2010 - the highest rate in 20 years.
• Despite the financial crisis, the number of millionaires in the United States rose a whopping 16 percent to 7.8 million in 2009.
• The top 10 percent of Americans now earn around 50 percent of our national income.
Links and References
- ► 2016 (34)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2014 (32)
- ► 2013 (42)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (62)
- ▼ July (5)
- ► 2009 (74)
(Part IV) A Practical Timeline for Establishing a Permanent Human Presence on the Moon and Mars using SLS and Commercial Launch CapabilityThree Mars Regolith Habitats (MRH) connected to a transparent martian biosphere covered with a water shielded biodome. by Marcel F. Wil...
Links and References FIAT-e500-Battery-electric-plugin-hybrid-car-with-methanol-fuel-cell-range-extender New methanol fuel cell c...
Links and References Seasteading Institute Seasteading
Siting Ocean Nuclear Power Plants in Remote US Territorial Waters for the Carbon Neutral Production of Synfuels and Industrial ChemicalsUS island territorial waters most suitable for floating nuclear synplexes: Uninhabited islands: Jarvis Island, Palmyra Atoll ...
(Part III) A Practical Timeline for Establishing a Permanent Human Presence on the Moon and Mars using SLS and Commercial Launch CapabilityA rotating artificial gravity space station in Mars orbit beyond the orbital arc of Deimos. One ETLV-4 crew lander is docked ...
(Part II) Practical Timelines and Funding for Establishing Permanent Outpost on the Moon and Mars using Propellant Producing Water Depots and SLS and Commercial Launch CapabilityTwin Lunar Regolith Habitats (LRH) on the sintered surface of a lunar outpost. Surrounding walls are composed of aluminum panels that ...
Earth's continents if the polar ice caps melt completely, raising global sea levels nearly 80 meters Sea levels are rising. And global ...
Links and References Space Technology Game Changing Development Nuclear Thermal Propulsion (NTP) Nuclear Rockets to Mars (The 1960s)...
Links and References Blue Origin's Crew Capsule's Successful Escape and Return Blue Origin John Glenn
NASA OTV with single stage reusable lunar lander (credit NASA) by Marcel Williams In 2009, President Obama inherited an annua...